Saturday, April 3, 2010

Boudoir: Lilly


A few weeks ago I was asked to do a Boudoir session by one of my brides, Lilly. I was excited to know that another one of my brides elected to do this type of photography. But there's a funny story to how it came to be. Turns out that her fiance didn't really want to hire a professional photographer for the wedding at all. Lilly really felt it was important. So her fiance and her struck a deal. He said that she could hire a photographer but only if she would do a Boudoir session as well. When Lilly told me this story I was impressed to say the least. Normally when a Boudoir session is in the works the groom isn't in on the secret. But this gentleman was a bit more progressive. In either case I was glad to hear it.

So today's blog is about Boudoir photography and how to approach one with a bride that isn't really all that comfortable doing it.


Lilly was excited to do the Boudoir session but admitted that she was nervous about it. So it was my job to set her at ease and get some amazing shots so she would look back at and be happy that she did it. So here are a few points that I use at every Boudoir photography session...

Once you have a bride that has agreed to shoot a Boudoir session I always tell her to invite a few of her friends or close family members to the photography session. Now I think that the best people for this are close friends and possibly sisters. Moms sometimes get too uncomfortable and in turn tend to make the bride uncomfortable too. Your goal is to set the brides mind and feelings at ease. Since I'm a male photographer I make sure that she is going to bring someone. If she doesn't then I will bring in my make up artist or assistant that is female. It's a must!! Things will go much smoother and you'll avoid problems down the line this way.


Next I will set up the location. Clean. Comfortable. I also have a huge music selection on my iPod so I will ask the bride what type of music she would like to listen to during the session. Depending on the music she will relax and be more open in front of the camera. I will also provide some snacks and drinks. My lighting is set up before my ladies arrive so that I'm not focused on that. My focus is on my bride at ALL times!


After she has arrived we will go over her wardrobe. Normally I ask the bride to bring anywhere from 3 to 7 outfits that she think would look good and that she will FEEL COMFORTABLE in. Remember that comfort is number one. I'm not saying that she should bring pajamas because they are soft - I mean that she should bring lingerie and other clothing that she feels that she looks great in. Pajamas are fine for an outfit or two but the goal is to make her look sexy and beautiful. This photography is fantasy and a step away from the everyday.



Once we have picked the outfits we are going to use then it's time to get to work. Make up is applied and I make sure I have all I need with lighting and equipment. Starting off with a few shots next to a window or in a chair is a good thing. It's like a warm up. Most brides have never done anything like this so easing them into getting in front of that lens is paramount. After a few minutes I will pick a couple of shots to show her in the back of my camera. I think this is SO IMPORTANT because she will see how great she looks and then her confidence will shoot up like a flare! Then that's when the magic begins because if she likes what she sees then she will trust you and become more open to your other ideas and more comfortable in front of the camera.




Depending on where you are shooting, a hotel room, a house or a studio I move around the place and look for new angles and fresh ways to present her. I sometimes will plan ahead and know where I'm going to shoot her but usually I like to let it happen there and then. I'm spontaneous with my ideas when I shoot Boudoir. I like to feel the flow of the shoot and go with my instincts on what the next pose will be.


Taking the photography outside is a great thing too. If you can take some shots of her on the street or next to a nice backdrop outside you can increase the appeal of sexy and break up the locations so that it's not so monotonous.


Another tip: Ask your bride what is the favorite part of her body that her groom loves. While this might seem like an intimate question it is important to know. This session is for him right? Well then it's best to have some shots that will focus on those parts.



Getting detail shots are great. She probably spent lots of money on those shoes so of course you better get those in your shots. Besides, it's another great shot to include that will scream sexy.

Make sure to communicate with her through out the session. Does she need something to drink? Maybe a change in the music? Perhaps she has an idea that she would like to try? Including her in the artistic choices will set you apart from most other photographers and increase your worth.


So some people think that most boudoir photography is done by female photographers. And although there are some great ones out there most of the Playboy and Victoria Secret photography is done by males! When it comes to brides there are some that will feel more comfortable with a female photographer - and there is nothing wrong with that at all. But in my opinion if a bride is doing this for her husband to be then I think she is better served by a male photographer. He will have the home court advantage of knowing what guys find sexy and what will make them say, "Damn, my girl is freakin' hot!!" :)



The bottom line is this. Make your bride feel as comfortable as possible. Go out of your way. Study other photographers in Playboy magazines, Victoria Secret catalogs and other media. But do your best to keep the photography very tasteful. Your bride and groom will thank you for some great and classy Boudoir photography that they can both look back on and admire.

-Santiago Valencia


No comments:

Post a Comment