Friday, October 23, 2009

My Two Cents: Backing Up. Even When You Don't Think You Have To


So about 2 months ago I got a brand, spanking new iMac from the Apple Store. I was very excited for my new computer. My old one had kicked the bucket after almost 5 years of great service. I start it up and the work continues. So everything is going fine right? That's what I thought! Then late last week my display on my new iMac wouldn't come on. I thought that it was the power from my wall outlet. Then I took the iMac to another room, plugged it in and then I knew...my NEW computer was dead!!!

Now anyone that knows me knows that I love Macs. I think they are great and I really can't live without them. I'm practically married to my iPhone now. But seriously folks...after only two months my iMac dies!? So I take it to the Apple Store and they tell me that it might be the logic board. Logic board?? There's nothing logical about it - It's brand new! I guess it was just a fluke. So the guy tells me that it will take about a week or so to fix and that they might have to replace the hard drive too. Great. Just add that lemon juice to my cut why don't you!? Then he asks the most famous question at the genius bar. The question that they ask about a billion times an hour! "Do you have your files backed up?" Hmmm.....Let me think............shit.

It happens all the time. You're in the middle of working on something great and you haven't had the chance to back it up. Your too much into your creative mode to think about that technical backing up stuff. So of course I was caught with my digital pants down. I just never thought that a two month computer would crap out on me. Well, the point to my rambling is that you must have a back up drive. In fact you should have several as soon as you can afford it. They also have some nifty softwares that do it for you. Just hook up an external hard drive and the software will back up every day or every hour. Whatever you want.

I found the Western Digital hard drives work well. I tried the LaCie drives but two of them died on me so I won't buy them anymore. In addition to backing up my weddings on a few drives I also burn them onto DVD to have a hard copy. You never know if we get hit by aliens or something and wipe out all the hard drives. I know...I'm being ridiculous.

But seriously, back up your stuff.
But seriously, back up your stuff.
But seriously, back up your stuff.
;)

-Santiago Valencia

No comments:

Post a Comment