Wednesday, August 19, 2009

My Two Cents: Taking Care of Your Back

So I was talking to a friend and great photographer Peter Garr. And the topic was our backs. What I mean is taking care of your backs and how we break them at work. As wedding photographers we go through the ringer on the weekends. Usually it is a 8 to 12 hour day on your feet, carrying a large camera with an even larger lens. Then we run around and bend over and crouch and stretch just to get the shot. Don't get me wrong, I love doing my work but it can take a tool on our bodies.

So we started talking about how important it is to take care of our bodies but our backs in particular. Going the chiropractor and getting a massage every couple of weeks or month seems to be a good idea. I know that it can add up in $$$ but it's well worth it in the long run. I said that we should set some money aside for this as you would saving for taxes or lenses or any other needed business expense. Afterall, I don't want to be a 40 year old Quasimodo one day! I still have lots to do and I need my back to get me there.

That's just my two cents.
Santiago Valencia

No comments:

Post a Comment